Everyone has a story to tell, here's mine sprinkled with some creative projects along the way.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you come back again.



Friday, May 31, 2013

Getting re-acquainted with my sewing machine

Once in a while I would get this boost of motivation and inspiration to create something with fabric. It doesn't come very often but when it does, I can't resist but get cozy with my sewing machine. 

A few weeks ago, we had a rainy day and since I didn't have any projects due, I spent the afternoon making pretty things with fabrics. Here are some of the results of my sewing labor...

Infinity scarves are a rage right now. I remember going to the mall and seeing each of my fave stores carrying some kind or type of these scarves. I recall telling myself that I can make one instead of paying the $20 or so dollars for it. And that's exactly what I did in this sewing session...

I'm the kind of crafter that doesn't like to follow rules. I think that's why I haven't been able to embrace sewing as much as I would like to. There's so many measurements and steps to follow. With this scarf, I got a fabric (in my stash) that I thought was long enough to double around my neck. I cut the material into two 5" wide pieces. Sewn the sides of the long pieces together, right sides facing each other, turned it over, folded the ends and sewn the piece to close. 

My daughter saw what I was making and she wanted one too. I made her choose the fabric and here's her version, a slightly smaller one. I love that I got her to model it for me. 



That morning, I was at Hobby Lobby purchasing some fabrics for a baby necktie that I was going to make (that's my first sewing project of the day) and saw this super cool chevron print. I had a 40% coupon in my hand and knew that I would regret it, if I didn't use it for this print. I ended up creating this pillowcase for my front room. 


Now my other handmade pillow has an equally cool partner. *wink*

So let's recap, I made a baby necktie, two infinity scarves and then a chevron pillowcase. But I didn't stop there. At Hobby Lobby, I also found this great damask print in the fabric remnant aisle. There wasn't much of this fabric but I loved the canvas texture so I made a camera strap with it. My camera strap tutorial can be found here. Because of the beauty of this fabric print, I decided to keep it simple and not add any ruffles to the strap. I wanted this item to have an understated elegance. 

So there you have it. An afternoon of re-igniting my love for sewing and making pretty things with fabrics. 

What have you sewn lately?

Have a great weekend.

Till next time,
Grace

1 comment:

Christy Smith said...

The pillow and camera strap turned out so cute! I need to get out my sewing machine and do some projects. You're motivating me! :)