Everyone has a story to tell, here's mine sprinkled with some creative projects along the way.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you come back again.



Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Are you prepared?

I know I'm not the only one that's noticing the spike on gas prices. It's the talk of the town. Every "news" show you watch, they have a segment on how it's sky rocketing fast and the many speculations on why.

Well I'm here to tell you that that's not where our problem ends. When gas prices go up, it's just the start of more hardships. Gas being high will cause everything else to go up, pretty much everything we purchase will go up in price.

That's why when my husband had a thought that we need to replenish our food storage on Saturday, I was not against it at all. As a member of the LDS faith, we have been counseled by our prophets to have a one year food supply stored in our home in case of emergency. Emergency is not just defined as a natural disaster but also times where money will be tight (like loosing a job). Such was the case for us last year when my husband lost his job. Our saved up food supply really helped us make it through those hard times.

So since we have used our food storage then, we have depleted some of the items. So last Saturday we went to Costco to buy more stuff and after some reorganization in the storage room, here's what our stocked up food look like...


There was a business in the same street as my husband's old family business and they had these plastic containers that they were throwing away. My husband got some and that's what we use for most of our dried items like rice, beans, flour, sugar and pasta.


We date our items so it'll be easy to rotate them. As you can see, some we haven't used and others we needed to replenish soon.


I love these plastic containers because they're transparent enough to see what's inside of them and also they're water proof.


Here's a look at cans, big things of oil and our MREs (meals ready to eat)


When you're putting together your food storage, keep in mind what your family usually eats. For us, tomato sauce is a good starter for pasta sauce, enchilada, soups, etc. We also like top ramen noodles so we have that in our storage .


I know how to make my own bread now so I stocked up on more yeast. We also have canned soup and meat here.


this shelf/rack system is in our laundry room next to our extra refrigerator.


this one has more canned items. I not only get my storage items from Costco. I also look for items to stock up on at Walmart, Big lots and at my local grocery store. Make sure you stock up on your family favorites when they go on sale. Oh and at Big lots, you need to pay attention to the expiration dates. Sometimes it's so soon that they're not worth the purchase.


We eat hamburger helpers, mac and cheese and pudding mixes a lot so they're part of our storage too.

We also purchase some meats at Costco. I picked the big cut meats because they're cheaper and I can have a lot of options for them. We got some beef and pork roasts as well as whole chickens for our storage.

So that's it. I hope I was able to give you some information that will help you start or refill your food storage.

I decided to share this with all of my blog readers because WE ALL NEED TO BE PREPARED!!! There's no better time than today. Think about it....if you wait another month, you're 99 cents a pound of chicken today will be $1.99 a pound next month. Which price would you rather pay for the chicken?

And for more information to start up a food storage, check this website out. Very informative.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope I was able to put a little bug on your ear that will help you and your family in an emergency. Oh and don't feel obligated to fill up a room like we did in one shot. Our supply was not built in a day and yours shouldn't either. But the point is start now!

Till next time,
Grace

No comments: