Everyone has a story to tell, here's mine sprinkled with some creative projects along the way.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you come back again.



Friday, August 10, 2012

Brown Sugar Pie *Food Friday Share*

Hello again friends. So we are on our last Food Friday share. I didn't hear from anyone if this was helping or not so I'm deciding to give it a rest...for now. I love cooking, baking and sharing food with family and friends but with school starting soon, having the extra task of taking photos of food might not work out with my schedule. I hope you enjoyed my recipe shares so far.

So for our last one, how about we end it with a sweet note? :)

Brown Sugar Pie

Brown Sugar Pie
“From our Grandmother’s Kitchens” cookbook
Serves 8
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
¼ cup evaporated milk
4 ½ tsp. All-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
1 single crust pie shell fit into 9-inch pie plate and chilled

1.       Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 2 tbsp. butter in saucepan over medium, heat, swirling occasionally, until butter is browned and have nutty aroma, about 3 minutes; transfer to large bowl and let cool slightly.
2.       Stir sugar into cooled butter until uniform. Whisk in eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, and salt until combined. Pour filling evenly into dough-lined pie plate. Cut remaining 1 tbsp. butter into 4 pieces and scatter evenly over top of pie.
3.       Bake pie until browned on top and toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 40 minutes. Let pie cool on wire rack until filling has set, about 2 hours. Serve at room temperature.

My notes:
1. This pie is one of those simple YET supremely delicious deserts. I love the nutty flavor created by browning the butter. It's so yummy.
2. I used premade pie shell because I'm feeling lazy but I'm sure it'll taste even better with your homemade pie crusts.
3. If I scale the price for making this pie, I would say it's in the middle. Purchasing the Pie shell, butter and evaporated milk will hit your desert budget to close to $10. Not bad compared to if you would've purchased it "baked and ready to eat" somewhere but it's still a bit high for a weekday desert so I save this recipe for when there's company or a Sunday dinner desert.
4. I have served it with whipped cream and sometimes with ice cream. The cream addition adds a "milky/creamy" taste to the dish.

So there you have it. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend.

Till next time,
Grace

No comments: